Search This Blog

Thursday, October 1, 2009

The " Go To Soup"


My husband travels a lot for work.  While on the road he has to eat out for every  meal so I am always trying to come up with a great "welcome home" meal for him.  Last winter I had a lot going on (raising one year old twins) and I just did not feel that creative.  I had some bone in split chicken breasts in the freezer and all the rest of the ingrediets to make chicken noodle soup.  Half way through making the soup I realized that I had never made chicken noodle soup for my husband before ( dated 2 years and married for 2 years).  Later that night when he got home very tired and very cold he was surprised to see a big pot of chicken noodle soup on the stove waiting for him. Long story short...he devoured it!  Two whopping bowls later he asked me "Why have you never made this for me before?" This soup is now my go to soup for when I run out of recipe surprises for my husband...I just know he will love it every time!




Chicken Noodle Soup
  • 16 cups / 1 gal. chicken stock
  • 64 oz. / 8 cups canned chicken broth
  • 2 large russet potatoes (peeled & cubed)
  • 3 carrots (cleaned & chopped)
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 2 celery sticks chopped
  • 3 bone - in split chicken breasts
  • 2 TB. chopped parsley
  • 1/2 TB. dried oregano
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 lb noodles (uncooked)
  • Parmesean cheese to garnish
* I choose to use the bone in chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken because our family does not like
   the dark meat of the chicken.  The breasts have the best of the white meat.


  1. Heat chicken stock & broth in large pot and bring to a boil. Add chicken breasts and boil for 20-30  minutes until chicken is no longer pink inside.
  2. Remove chicken from pot and place on cutting board. Remove chicken skin and cut chicken into bite sized cubes. Add cut up chicken to broth in pot.
  3. Add potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, parsley, oregano, salt & pepper to pot. Simmer for 30 minutes.
  4. Add noodles to pot and simmer for about 20 more minutes.
  5. Ladle soup into large soup bowl and garnish with freshly grated parmesean cheese.












No comments:

Post a Comment