Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A "Spicy" Birthday Breakfast




Have I ever mentioned that my husband loves spicy food?  Well, if not, I am telling you now, he absolutely loves spicy food.  He puts so much crushed red pepper flakes on his food it makes me cringe!  Sometimes I feel like he will be ruining my great tasting food by adding so much of that spice!  I need to do like they do in Italy, if you ask for hot pepper they say "no, it does not need it.  It is perfect just the way we seasoned it!"  A few months ago I came up with a breakfast that my husband absolutely loved because it included jalapeno peppers.  I call it my Corn Cake Egg Benedicts with Jalapeno Infused Syrup.  Try it for a Sunday breakfast for a little something different!

CORN CAKE EGGS BENEDICT WITH JALAPENO INFUSED SYRUP 

* Makes 6 eggs benedicts
  • 1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
  • 2 TB. shortening (melted)
  • 2 eggs (for corn cakes)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 6 slices canadian bacon or ham on the bone
  • 6 eggs  (for poached eggs)
  • 1/2 TB. olive oil
  • 1/2 jalapeno finely chopped
  • 1 cup syrup
  1. Mix the corn muffin mix, shortening, eggs and milk in a large bowl with a whisk.
  2. Heat griddle on high and spray with cooking spray.  Using a ladle spoon about 1/3 cup corn muffin mix for each pancake onto the griddle.
  3. Once you see bubbles forming flip pancake over and cook on next side for one minute.
  4. Remove each pancake and place on dish - cover to keep warm.
  5. In the meantime hard boil the 6 eggs.
  6. Heat the canadian bacon or ham in a skillet.
  7. Heat the olive oil in a small sauce pan.  Add the chopped jalapeno and saute for 5 minutes.
  8. Add the syrup to the sauce pan.  Mix well.  Cook for an additional 10 minutes on low.
To assemble:
  1. Place one corn muffin pancake on a plate. 
  2. Place a piece of canadian bacon or ham over the pancake. 
  3. Place a hardboiled egg over the bacon/ham
  4. Top the egg with a second corn muffin pancake.
  5. Ladle a spoonful of syrup over the top
  6. Serve immediatly

No comments:

Post a Comment