Search This Blog

Friday, March 26, 2010

Planning Ahead for Easter - Walnut Citrus Twists

I very good friend of mine is hosting an Easter brunch for about 16 people.  She called me a few days ago and asked if I would help come up with a few recipes for her brunch menu.  I love...I absolutely love planning menu's.  I like to think of this as my specialty (so if anyone out there needs help with this...please call me.  I have hundreds if not thousands of books and recipes).  So that being said I hopped right to this task of finding some fun Easter brunch ideas.  I am thinking salads, breads and other baked goods, egg casseroles, yummy spring desserts and fun punches and mimosas! The next few weeks many of my posts will be dedicated to Easter menu ideas. The very first recipe I thought of is one of my very favorite sweet roll recipes:  Walnut Citrus Twists.  These are extremely easy to make since you purchase some frozen Rhodes dough, wrap and twirl it around some walnuts, sugar and cirtus rind and bake it to a puffy yumminess!  Slap a citrus glazed icing on top and you have heaven all wrapped up in a yummy citrus twist!  These Walnut Citrus Twists are a must....I repeat....a must for an Easter breakfast or brunch! 

WALNUT CITRUS TWISTS 
  • 2 loaves Rhodes dough, thawed & risen
Filling:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup  butter, softened
  • the rind of one grated orange
  • the rind of one grated lemon
  • 1 cup finley chopped walnuts
Glaze:
  • 3 TB. fresh orange juice
  • 1 TB. fresh lemon juice
  • 2 TB. light corn syrup
Icing:
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 - 3 tsp. lemon juice
  1. Roll one loaf of dough out to a 12 inch square.
  2. Combine powdered sugar, butter and rinds.  Beat until smooth.
  3. Stir in walnuts.
  4. Spread half of filling over  half of the dough.
  5. Fold dough over filling.
  6. Cut into twelve 6 x 1 inch strips.
  7. Spray baking sheets with non-stick baking spray.
  8. Twist each strip 4 - 5 times and coil onto baking sheet.
  9. Repeat the above steps with the second loaf of bread.
  10. Cover coils with with non-stick sprayed plastic wrap.  Let rise until they double; about 35 to 45 minutes.  After they rise you may have to tuck the ends back in to form the coil again.
  11. Mix glaze and set aside.
  12. Remove wrap.  Bake twists at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes.
  13. Brush with glaze and continue baking for 3 - 5 minutes until golden.
  14. Remove to cooking rack and drizzle with icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment