Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

LINGUINE WITH CLAMS AND TOMATOES

It was so nice for someone to give me a recipe for a change.  Even though I love finding new recipes and coming up with new menus to plan, sometimes it is really nice if someone offers me a family recipe to try out.  Loria Harman of Sew Simple Design , recently e-mailed me her family recipe for Linguine with Clams & Tomatoes.  I have to tell you a little bit about her first.  She does amazing window treatments & upholstery.  Her website http://www.sewsimpledesign.com/ has beautiful pictures of  her work.  We are finally, after almost three years in our new home, ready to do some window treatments.  I was searching on-line for just some pics of what I wanted and I came to her website.  I loved her work.  I had no idea that she actually lived in the Chicagoland area and when I saw her phone number and that she had a (630) area code I called her immediately!  She came out to my house, we came up with a few ideas, now all I have to do is pick some fabrics!  She is great!  Please check out her website should you need window treatments or pillow made or anything re-upholstered.

Anyway, long story short, Loria was nice enough to pass along her families recipe for Linguine with Clams & Tomatoes.  I jumped at the chance to make this dish because I have only made Linguine & Clams in white sauce or chicken broth based sauce, but I have not attempted it with tomatoes.  A little tidbit that you do not know about me....I love, love, love tomatoes.

 I eat them with breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I look forward to summer when the tomatoes are in season and I can get them at the farmers market.  There is nothing better than a fresh summer tomato.  This being said, I believe that almost every recipe is better with some tomatoes.  Linguine with Clams is no exception and I fell in love with this recipe.  The flavors are amazing and it is super simple to make.  I changed just a few small things.  Loria makes 1/2 pound of pasta with her recipe and I increased this two 1 pound.  I also added a cup of chicken broth to the sauce and then let my al'dente pasta cook a bit more before serving it.  By doing this, and also adding a bit of the salted pasta cooking water, it allows the pasta to absorb the liquid in the sauce a bit instead of just rolling off the pasta.  This recipe is great.  If you are like me and get tired of the regular ol' recipes that you make....try this dish!

Just a little side note:  If anyone out there has a fun family recipe that you would like me to make and post on La Mia Tabella, please don't be shy!  Pass it along to me!  I am always looking for new and fun recipes to try!


LINGUINE WITH CLAMS AND TOMATOES 
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 4 garlic cloves - minced
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicier and less if you don't)
  • 2 cans baby clams with juice
  • 1 TB. fresh chopped basil
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano
  • 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cans chopped tomatoes with juice
  • 1 lb. linguine
  • 3 TB. chopped italian parsley
  • fresh basil to garnish
  • freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish
  1. Fill a pasta pot up with water and salt the water generously.  Place on stove to boil.
  2. In the meantime; heat olive oil in a large and deep skillet or sauce pan.  Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes.  Saute for 3 minutes.
  3. Add juice of clams only.  Simmer for 3 minutes more.
  4. Add basil, oregano, chicken broth and salt and pepper.  Stir well.
  5. Add baby clams and tomatoes with juice.  Stir well.  Let simmer for about 10 minutes or so.
  6. Once your pasta water is boiling add linguine and cook unitl al'dente - about 8 minutes.  Remove pasta with tongs and place directly in the simmering sauce.  Add about 1/4 cup of salted pasta water to pasta and sauce and toss pasta well so that it gets covered with the sauce.  Let simmer for about 3 minutes.
  7. Place pasta and sauce in a large pasta serving bowl.  Add itallian parsley and toss well.
  8. Place in indivdual serving bowls and garnish with fresh chopped basil and parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment