Search This Blog

Thursday, May 6, 2010

MOTHER'S DAY - Part 1

When planning a big party I always wonder how many things I can do ahead of time so that when my guests arrive I too can sit and relax and enjoy the party.  It never happens quite like that, but by planning ahead and choosing recipes that I can make 1 to 2 days before the party, it really helps me enjoy my day a bit more as well.  That and I can actually talk to my guests.  For Mother's Day this year I am having about 16 adults and a handful of kids.  I have decided to make Grilled Leom-Oregano Drumsticks, Rosemary & Orange Pork Kabobs and a ton of very fun, flavorful and colorful make ahead salads.  This post I have included the recipe for the Grilled Lemon-Oregano Chicken Drumsticks & also my speciality cocktail for the day, Viognier Fruit Spritzer.  "Viognier" is a special wine that comes from a special grape that is limited in its making.  The grapes are grown in a special region of France & also California.  The taste is a very exotic fruit with flavors of peach and citrus.  Once you have this wine....you will not go back to a Chardonay!  As soon as I make these recipes on Sunday I will post  pictures!


GRILLED LEMON - OREGANO CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS

*These chicken drumsticks can be served hot right off the grill OR if you are like me and like to be prepared ahead of time, you can grill them prior to your guests arriving and then just serve them room temp.  They are actually pretty awsome the next day cold as well! Also, I will be at least doubling...possibly tripling this recipe for my party which is not a problem.
  • 2 TB. fresh lemon juice
  • 2 TB. coarsely chopped fresh oregano
  • 2 garlic cloves - pressed
  • 1 TB.  extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
  • 1 tsp. finely grated lemon peel
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 8 chicken drumsticks
  1. Whisk first 6 ingredients in small bowl.  Season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper.
  2. Pour marinade into a 1 gallon resealable plastic bag; add chicken and seal.  Turn bag to coat chicken.
  3. Marinate at room temp. for 30 m inutes of in fridge for up to 2 days, turning occasionally.
  4. Prepare grill - medium high heat.  Place chicken, with some marinade still clinging, on grill rack; grill chicken until cooked through and golden brown on all sides, turning frequently, about 30 minutes.
  5. Transfer to plates and serve.

VIOGNIER FRUIT SPRITZER 

* I found this recipe in my June/09 issue of Bon Appetit.  They recommend using frozen strawberries  and placing them in each wine glass before pouring the spritzer in.  It looks really pretty and helps keep the drink cool.  Double the recipe if you would like to offer your guests seconds.
  •  12 strawberries with stems
  • 1 - 750 ml. bottle chilled Viognier
  • 3 cups chilled sparkling water
  • 1 1/2 cups chilled tangerine juice
  • 1 1/2 cups chilled pomegranate juice
  • 10 fresh mint leaves
  • 1 1 /2 cups crushed ice
  • 2 unpeeled tangerines, sliced into thin rounds
  1.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.  Place strawberries on prepared sheet.  Freeze until frozen, about 3 hours.  Or they can be prepared one week ahead; freeze and then transfer to resealable plastic bag.  Release excess air, seal bag, and keep frozen.
  2. Mix wine, sparkling water, tangerine juice, and pomegranate juice in 12 cups pitcher or punch bowl.
  3. Using fingers, crush mint leaves; add to pitcher/bowl. 
  4. Add ice and tangerines; stir
  5. Place 1 frozen strawberry in each of 12 wineglasses or tumblers.  Divide spritzer among glasses and serve.
*Makes 12 drinks

No comments:

Post a Comment