Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

CARAMEL APPLE BREAD PUDDING

Here is a little secret....you know those little recipe magazines that you see when you are in the check out line at the grocery store...I buy them!  I buy them all the time.  I am addicted to them.  But I especially buy them around the holidays.  They have the best recipe for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New  Years.  I mostly  buy them for their baked goods recipes.  A few weeks ago I was standing in the check out line and a Taste of Home mini recipe book caught my eye by stating " Halloween: Food & Fun"!  That was all I needed to give in and pay the $4.99.  There were many great recipes in this book, but I found the best recipe of all, and I in fact have made it twice since.  This recipe was the Caramel Apple Bread Pudding. To be honest with you I am not a huge fan of bread pudding...that is until I found this recipe.  Usually bread pudding is thick and dense and heavy once cooked. This bread pudding was ooey and gooey and soft and fluffy and creamy and light in texture.  It was fantastic!  Please...I beg of you...please try to make this for at least one of your upcoming holidays....your guests will RAVE!


CARAMEL APPLE BREAD PUDDING 

  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 cup 1/2 & 1/2 (recipe actually calls for 1 cup of skim milk, but I added some half and half as well...and it turns out super creamy!)
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup egg substitute
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 5 cups cubed day old bread ( I prefer to use challah bread)
  • 1/2 cup chopped peeled apple ( I use a mixture of granny smith and honeycrisp)
  • 1/2 cup caramel topping
  1. In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, milk, 1/2 & 1/2, brown sugar, egg substitute, vanilla and cinnamon.  Fold in bread cubes and apple.
  2. Pour into an 8 inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for about 30-35 minutes and golden brown on top.  During the last 5 minutes of baking time drizzle the caramel sauce over the top of the bread pudding.  Cook for the last 5 minutes.
  3. Remove from oven and serve immediately with vanilla ice-cream or fresh whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment