Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

SWEDISH MEATBALLS W/ EGG NOODLES

I did it!  I stepped out of my "realm" of Italian cooking and made something non-Italian. Not only did I make up this new recipe for Swedish Meatballs, but I blew it out of the park!  I mean I reallly had to pat myself on the back for this one.  My husband had been away for work in Germany for a week and he was getting home right around dinner time last friday.  Before he left I made him a nice Italian dinner.  I know he ate lots of sausage, weinerscnitzel (sp?), saurkraut and potatoes while in Germany so I was trying to rack my brain to come up with something different for him to come home to.  I decided on Swedish Meatballs w/ Egg Noodles.  When I started doing my research I noticed that many of the Swedish Meatball recipes did not call for mushrooms, but for some reason I could not get mushrooms out of my head...so in my recipe I added mushrooms.  I also noticed that alot of the recipes called for a really thick & chunky gravy that looked really white.  I decided to thin my gravy up a bit, but since I served it with egg noodles the gravy coated the noodles great!  I made so many of these meatballs we ended up eating them for three days.  The great news is that not only did I love this meatballs, but my husband loved them and so did my three year olds!  Like I said...I hit this one out of the park!  Yesterday when I was trying to come up with my new catering menu I actually  made an executive decision to add these meatballs as an entree'.  You guys really need to make these at home for yourself and your family.  I do have to worn  you though...this recipe is certainly not one for Cooking Light magazine!  The key to the flavor is to actually use butter to brown the meatballs.  Using butter for cooking (not baking) is actually something I don't do...but the flavor and outcome of these meatballs just would not be the same if you  used olive oil or vegie oil.  That being said....go ahead a splurge...what the heck the holidays are coming up and we are all going to blow our diets anyway.  Plus....I am pregnant....so who am I kidding I threw my diet out the door months ago!



SWEDISH MEATBALLS W/ EGG NOODLES 

*Serves 6

For Meatballs:
  • 2 lbs. ground meat
  • 2 eggs (slightly beaten)
  • 1 TB. olive oil
  • 2 onions - chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. all spice
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • fresh ground pepper
  • 1/2 stick of butter (for browning)
For Sauce:
  • 4-5 cups beef broth
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup half &  half
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. allspice
  • salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 cups sliced and quartered button mushrooms
  • egg noodles
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
  1. In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high hear.  Add the onions and saute for 3-5 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.  Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl add ground meat, sauted onions, eggs, breadcrumbs, nutmeg, allspice, salt, pepper & garlic powder.  Mix well with wooden spoon (or better yet, use your clean hands),
  3. Shape into 1 1/2 inch wide meatballs.  Make all meatballs and set them aside on a platter.
  4. In the meantime; using the same large skillet heat skillet and add butter.  I don't like to add the whole stick of butter to the pan at once since you brown the meatballs in batches.  I remove the paper from the butter and keep butter in my hand coating the bottom of the skillet with the other end of the butter.  Put butter aside.  Working in batches I add the meatballs and brown them on all sides.  Remove the meatballs from the skillet and set aside.  Continue browning all meatballs adding more butter when needed.
  5. Using the same large skillet add about 1 cup of the beef broth while heat is on medium high.  Using a wooden spoon scrape bottom of pan to get all the browned bits.
  6. Add three more cups of beef broth, cream of mushroom soup, nutmeg & allspice. Mix well using a whisk. Bring mixture to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
  7. In a small bowl add 1/2 cup of cold water to a 1/2 cup of flour.  Whisk to form a thick mixture.  Add mixture to the beef broth mixture in the skillet.  Whisk quickly to avoid lumps from forming.  Turn heat down to medium.
  8. Add mushrooms to skill et and let cook for 3 minutes.
  9. Add meatballs to skillet, stir well and let cook for about 20 minutes covered.
  10. Add half and half stirring well to incorporate it into the sauce.  Taste and add salt & pepper as needed.  Cover and continue cooking on medium low for 20 more minutes.
  11. In the meantime; bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add egg noodles and cook until aldente - about 6-8 minutes.  Drain noodles - add to a large bowl.  Drizzle some olive oil over noodles to avoid them from sticking. 
  12. To serve:  add some egg noodles to a plate or bowl.  Ladle the swedish meatballs with sauce and mushrooms over the noodles.  Sprinkle top with fresh chopped parsley.  Serve with a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment