VANILLA BEAN & CRANBERRY COFFEECAKE
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen cranberries (6 ounces)
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Garnish: confectioners sugar
Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into a food processor with tip of a paring knife (reserve pod for another use if desired). Add sugar and pulse to combine. Transfer to a bowl.
Pulse cranberries with 1/2 cup vanilla sugar in processor until finely chopped (do not purée).
Beat together 1 stick butter and 1 cup vanilla sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down side and bottom of bowl. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture and milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour, until just combined.
Top with remaining batter and smooth top.
Blend remaining 1/4 cup vanilla sugar with remaining tablespoon each of butter and flour using your fingertips. Crumble over top of cake.
Recipe Courtesey of www.epicurious.com