*Photo Courtesy of The Addison on Amelia
THE LIGHTER SIDE MENU
The Menu: Fruit Smoothies served on the side of Egg Scramble With Feta and Chives & Low
Fat Bannana Muffins
You may have guests that wake up the next morning regretting the mass amounts of food they put in their mouths and stomachs the night before. You may want to consider serving a breakfast that is on the lighter side. This is the menu for you!
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend.
- Pour into drink glasses and garnish with a strawberry.
Egg Scramble with Feta & Chives
- In a large bowl break eggs. Add the 2 TB. water. Scramble well with fork or whisk.
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Add eggs.
- Cook eggs, stirring every few minutes to make scrambled eggs.
- When eggs are completely done, add the feta and chives. Gently stir into eggs and let feta melt a bit. Cook only 1 - 2 minutes.
- Serve immediatly
Low Fat Banana Muffins
Through trial and error my husband and I came up with a nice low fat banana muffin. They are great on the side of a lighter breakfast or just by themselves with a cup of tea or coffee quick in the morning.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 TB. bkg powder
- 1/2 tsp. bkg soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup mashed banana (2 bananas)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lite sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (plus more for tops of muffins)
- Powdered sugar for tops
- Pre-heat oven to 35o degrees
- Mix flour, bkg powder, bkg soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a seperate bowl bean mashed banana, sugar, egg and vanilla with a whisk or hand mixer.
- Add in sour cream or yogurt. Mix all together.
- Add flour mixture, cinnamon and oatmeal. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into muffin tin or muffin cups. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with oatmeal.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- When cool sprinkle each top with powdered sugar.
THE " I COULD EAT " MENU
The Menu: Great Pumpkin Cinnamon Pancakes, Canadian Bacon, Turkey Sausage and Fresh
If you have the type of guests that wake up and feel like thier digestion had worked properly the night before then you may want to consider this menu. You are not going over board, but you are making sure that no one leaves the table hungry.
Great Pumpkin Cinnamon Pancakes
Serves 5-6 people
- 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 TB. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. bkg soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Heat large skillet and brush with unsalted butter. Heat over to 300 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda and spices, breaking up any lumps. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, buttermilk and eggs until smooth. Pour liquid into dry ingredients.
- Add melted butter and whisk quickly until batter is slightly lumpy. Do not overmix. Scrape bowl well.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto hot griddle or skillet. Cook until golden brown. Flip and repeat.
- Place cooked pancakes onto cookie sheet in warm oven for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with maple syrup, whipped cream and a spinkle of cinnamon.
* Photo Courtesy of Krusteaz
MAN AM I STARVING MENU
The Menu: Fruit & Yogurt Parfaits, Cinnamon French Toast Casserole, Fried Eggs, Bacon and Sausage
Here is the menu if you have a hungry bunch. My brother and sister n'law have guests where the men like to get up and hunt on their property the next day....this menu is for those hungry hunters out there....OR...those of us who like to go off our diets for Thanksgiving week-end! Yum! Yum!
- Layer the following in a parfait glasses or tall glasses: 1/4 cup yogurt, sprinkle of strawberries, sprinkle of granola, 1/4 cup yogurt, sprinkle of blueberries, sprinkle of granola, 1/4 cup of yogurt, sprinkle of granola, drizzle of honey on top.
- Repeat to make a total of 6 parfaits.
Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
- Cooking Oil Spray
- 1 loaf cinnamon bread (about 16 cups cubed)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 5 TB. butter (melted)
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) chopped pecans
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut the bread into bite sized cubes.
- Place 1 1/2 cups of the bread cubes in a quart size zipper top plastic bag and set aside.
- Place the remaining cubes into the baking dish. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs well in a bowl. Whisk in the 1/2 and 1/2, milk and vanilla until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes in the baking dish. Press the cubes down into the egg mixture to make sure they are all moistened.
- Cover the dish and refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours to 24 hours.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Take the 1 1/2 cups bread cubes in the ziplock bag and sprinkle over the top of the bread in the baking dish.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the top of the bread.
- Sprinkle the pecans over the top.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until bread is golden brown and a bit cruncy on top.
- Serve with maple syrup.
* Photo Courtesy of Chow