Search This Blog

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Fettuccine with Turkey Sausage & Mushrooms

I thought I would give everyone a break (including myself) from Christmas cookies today.  My husband and I have been eating Lean Cuisines since Thanksgiving so I thought I would mix it up a bit this week and make him some pasta!  This recipe is adapted from a Fine Cooking magazine.  Their recipe calls for either home-made or fresh pasta and real italian sausage.  I thought I would lighten it up a bit with some italian turkey sausage and just grab a box of fettuccine from my pantry.  The only other addition I made was I chopped up two cloves of garlic.  This was so good!  Make sure you serve it steaming hot with some fresh grated parm on top!  I served it with a side of broccoli, but you could also make a nice side salad and call it a meal!

FETTUCCINE WITH TURKEY SAUSAGE & MUSHROOMS 
  • 2 TB. extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
  • 3/4 lb. sweet italian turkey sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1/2 lb. mixed sliced mushrooms ( I just used button mushrooms)
  • 4 medium scallions (white & green parts), trimmed and thinly sliced
  • 2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp. dried)
  • 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • Fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 - 12 oz. package fresh or boxed fettuccine
  • 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Salt to taste if needed
  1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in  large, heavy skillet over medium high heat until shimmering hot.
  3. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes.
  4. Add the mushrooms, scallions, rosemary, red pepper flakes, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp ground pepper and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms soften and start to brown, about 3 minutes.
  5. Add the tomatoes and chicken broth, bring to a boil, and then cover and reduce to a gentle simmer.
  6. Cook until the sausage is heated through and the flavors are melded, about 5 minutes.
  7. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package timing until it's just al dente. 
  8. Drain well and add to the sauce along with half of the Parmigiano.
  9. Cook over medium heat, tossing for 1 minute.
  10. Serve sprinkled with remaining Parmigiano and some fresh black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment