Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Good Luck Meal For The New Year!


Funny story....a few months after I started dating my now husband we celebrated New Year's Eve and New Year's day together.  On New Years Day he looked at me and said "oh man, we need to make saurkraut and kielbasa today!"  My first reaction..."WHY?"  He went on to tell me that his mom always made saurkraut and kielbasa on New Years Day for good luck.  This to me was slightly strange coming from a family with the last name of "Francesconi" !  Sure a big bowl of pasta and meatballs would make more sense...but a crock pot full of saurkraut, kielbasa and pork?  That did not sound like an italian tradition to me.  BUT....I thought it was the cutest thing ever that he wanted to keep up the traditions that his parents created.  We called his mom, got her recipe and made this good luck meal for the New Year!  Now, years later, we make it a must on our New Years Day menu....I call it "Grandma Sconi's Saurkraut and Kielbasa". 

This meal will literally melt in your mouth.  It is slow cooked in a crock pot for 4 to 6 hours.  You can serve it with mashed potatoes, potatoe pancakes or pierogies.  It creates a juice/gravy that is to die for!  I have never been a saurkraut person...but as soon as I tasted this recipe...I was hooked!


GRANDMA SCONI'S SAURKRAUT & KIELBASA 


  • 32 oz. saurkraut (drained and rinsed)
  • 2 lbs. boneless country style pork ribs
  • olive oil
  • 1 apple - peeled and cut into thin wedges
  • 3 garlic cloves sliced thin
  • 1 onion - peeled and sliced thin
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 lb. polish kielbasa sausage ( cut into 4 inch pieces)
  • salt & pepper to taste
  1. Salt and pepper all sides of the pork.  Heat about 1-2 TB. olive oil in a frying pan.  Brown pork on all sides.
  2. Add drained and rinsed saurkraut, browned pork, kielbasa, white wine, chicken broth, garlic and onion to a crockpot.  Add fresh ground pepper and mix well.
  3. Slow cook in crockpot for 4 to 6 hours stirring occasionally.
  4. Serve with mashed potatoes, potatoe pancakes or pierogis

No comments:

Post a Comment