* I always make a big batch of this sauce and freeze it in smaller containers so I have it readily available for recipes that call for marinara sauce (ex: Chicken Parm.)
- 2 TB. Butter
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 - 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 2- 14 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 TB. chopped fresh oregano
- 3-4 TB. chopped fresh basil (about 12 basil leaves)
- salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Heat olive oil and butter in a heavy bottom sauce pan or pot.
- Add garlic and saute 3-5 minutes
- Add basil and oregano - cook 2 minutes
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper and red pepper to your liking and cook 5 minutes.
- Add about 1/2 cup to 1 cup water ( I usually do this by adding some water to empty tomato cans and swishing water around to get all the juice from the cans). Add this water to sauce in pot. Stir.
- Let sauce cook on medium for about half an hour.
- With a hand blender puree the tomato sauce until smooth.
- Cook for one more hour on low. Can cook for more, but an hour usually does the trick
ORZO WITH FETA
- 1 lb. orzo pasta - cooked al'dente
- 5 TB. olive oil (divided)
- 6 green onions - chopped ( white and green parts)
- 5 oz. crumbled feta
- salt, fresh ground pepper, red pepper flakes and a dash of garlic to taste
- Once orzo has been cooked, drain it and rinse it well with hot water. Place it back into the pot and mix it with 4 TB. olive oil so it does not stick together.
- In the meantime saute the green onions in the remaining 1 TB. of olive oil.
- Place the sauted green onions, crumbled feta and seasoning in the pot with the orzo. Mix well.
- Place orzo in a serving bowl and serve immediately while nice and hot.