Search This Blog

Saturday, April 17, 2010

LEMON CLOUD

Usually when I am having guests over for dinner I make way too many apps, and way too much food for dinner.  I am Italian...that is just what we do!  Then I make a ton of dessert, but most everyone just takes a bit of dessert and is never that hungry for dessert because they ate too much of everything else.  Last year I had my parents and in'laws over for a big Italian dinner.  I made pork roast and home-made eggplant parmesan.  I knew that by the time dessert came around nobody would have any room. So I decided to make a light dessert called Lemon Cloud.  I found this in my dessert recipe notebook.  I am not sure who the author is, but they should be given a big pat on the back because it is awesome!  It is a light, fluffy, whipped lemon mousse.  This dessert was a big hit!  I also just made it again for our neighbors.  Again, I made a heavy dinner, steak and cheesey potatoes.  I knew I had to make something light for dessert.  I served the Lemon Cloud garnished with some sliced strawberries and kiwi and served it with some Caputo's bakery cookies.  This dessert was a winner again.  It is so light and creamy and fluffy it just melts in your mouth!  ( wish I had a photo to show you...it makes a beautiful presentaion...but again I have a smashed camera!)

LEMON CLOUD 

*Although this recipe says you can serve it after 4 hours in the fridge...it is much better if you let it sit in the fridge covered over night!
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1 packet unflavored gelatin
  • 1/4 cup water
  • yolks from 8 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream (make sure carton says "heavy" otherwise it won't whip up good)
  • Garnish:  sliced strawberries and kiwi
  1. Heat sugar and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves.
  2. Meanwhile sprinkle gelatin over water in a small bowl; let soften about 1 minute.
  3. Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl.  Slowly whisk in about 1 cup of the milk mixture.  Add egg yolk mixture to the rest of the milk mixture in the saucepan.  Stir over low heat about 3 minutes until slightly thickened.
  4. Remove from heat; immediately stir in gelatin mixture, lemon juice and salt.  Let come to room temp.
  5. Beat cream with hand mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.  Using a whisk, slowly and gently whisk lemon mixture into cream.
  6. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  7. To serve: Spoon lemon cream onto center of dessert plates.  Garnish with sliced strawberries and kiwi.

No comments:

Post a Comment