Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

TOMATO & BASIL BRUCHETTA W/ FRESH RICOTTA

I have to say I am a bruchetta junky!  I also have to say that it is rare that I find a bruchetta that I absolutely love .  If the bruchetta is already pre-made for you the bread gets really soggy.  If you have to place the tomatoes atop the grilled bread youself some people get lazy and choose to eat something else where they don't have to "work" for their food.  I have played around with different recipes over the years and have come up with what I believe to be the very best bruchetta of all time!  My secret.....I mix up some home made ricotta ( I find home-made ricotta cheese at Caputos) with some olive oil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.  I spread this atop my grilled bread before I place my bruchetta topping on top of the bread.  This helps seal the bread in a way where the juices from the tomato topping do not seep into the grilled bread.  Thus, the bread does not get soggy.  You can pre-make the bruchetta right before your guests arrive and place them all on a pretty platter.  When your guests arrive they have fresh (not soggy) bruchetta that is all pre-made and therefore do not have to "work" for their appetizer.  The other secret to this recipe is plain and simple: fresh ingredients.  There are only five main ingredients to this recipe; bread, tomatoes, basil, garlic and olive oil.  Use fresh ingredients and you cannot go wrong!!


TOMATO & BASIL BRUCHETTA W/ FRESH RICOTTA 

  • 1 fresh baguette (cut into 1/2 inch slices - will make about 20-30)
  • olive oil - to drizzle over bread
  • 5 cups chopped grape tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 3/4  cup olive oil divided
  • 4 garlic cloves chopped fine
  • 3/4 lb. fresh or home-made ricotta cheese
  • salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
  1. Place slices of baguette bread in a single layer on baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Bake bread in oven at 375 degrees until a light golden brown OR place on indoor or outdoor grill grill on both sides until nice grill marks form.
  2. Remove from oven and set aside.
  3. In the meantime; place chopped tomatoes, chopped basil, garlic, 1/2 cup olive oil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper in a medium bowl.  Mix well.  Set aside.
  4. In another bowl add ricotta cheese, remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste.  Set aside.
  5. Place about a tablespoon of ricotta cheese mixture on each grilled/baked baguette slice.  Spread over top.
  6. Place about a tablespoon of tomato mixture on top of ricotta.
  7. If you would like you can garnish with chopped basil or shaved parmesan.
  8. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment