- 2 parts x-rated
- 1 part Cabo-Wabo tequila
- 2 parts orange juice
- Mix and serve with lots of ice
TOMATO BASIL SAUCE
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 (32 oz) cans of crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14 oz. ) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 5 TB. butter
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 15 fresh basil leaves thinly sliced
- salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot.
- Add garlic cloves and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and one cup water, and sugar.
- Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- With a hand blender puree sauce until smooth (you can skip this step if you like your sauce a bit chunkier and thicker).
- Turn heat on to medium low. Add butter and ricotta cheese - stir to blend in and melt.
- Add basil leaves, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Stir well.
- Cook covered for about 1/2 hour.
- Serve over your favorite pasta and garnish with fresh grated parmesan.
SAUSAGE, PEPPERS & POTATOES
- 12 italian sausage cut in half (makes 24 small sausages)
- 6 large russet potatoes quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 assorted color peppers cut in strips about 1 1/2 inches thick
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, rosemary, oregano and basil to taste
- 3 TB. tomato paste
- Using an indoor grill pan or outdoor grill; grill italian sausage halves browning each side and leaving gril marks ( about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Place grilled sausage in a large roasting pan
- Place quarted russet potatoes in roasting pan along with sausage.
- Sprinkle garlic over sausage and potatoes
- Drizzle olive oil over sausage & potatoes - add tomato paste and toss to coat.
- Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, rosemary, oregano and basil to taste. Mix well.
- Place in a pre-heated oven - 375 degrees.
- In the meantime place peppers in a large ziplock bag - set aside.
- Roast sausage and pepepr for about 20 to 25 minutes. Add peppers and continue roasting for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven - spoon out onto a large platter. Serve immediately.
ITALIAN LAYERED SALAD
- 3 heads of romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 (6 oz.) can black olives sliced
- 1 (12 oz.) can artichoke hearts quartered
- 1 (14 oz.) can garbanzo beans
- 1 cup roasted red peppers sliced
- 1 cup diced provolone cheese
- 1 cup chopped italian salami
- 1 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 2 TB. chopped red onion
- Starting with half the romaine lettuce layer all of the igredients.
- End with the remaining half of the lettuce and spinkle with red onion.
- Serve immediately with Balsamic Vinegarette
- 4 TB. balsalmic vinegar
- 6 TB. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/ 2 tsp. sugar or one packet of sugar substitute
- salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste.
In a small bowl add balsalmic vinegar, garlic powder and sugar. While slowly adding the olive oil whisk it in vigorously to the balsalmic mixture.
Add salt, pepper and red pepper to taste.
Can drizzle dressing directly over salad and toss to coat or can serve dressing on the side for guests to drizzle on their own.
* To add a special Valentine's Day touch I used a heart shaped bread tin I purchased from Pampered Chef a few years ago. I made the heart shaped bread into garlic bread and I also made a fresh loaf of italian bread.
- 2 pkg. active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 TB. salt
- 6 cups of all-purpose flour
- Soften yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water (110 degrees F)
- Gently stir yeast into water to dissolve. Let stand for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, put 1 3/4 cup of warm water and the salt into a large bowl
- Blend in 3 cups of sifted flour
- Add softened yeast to flour/water mixture and mix well
- Add about 1/2 of the reamining flour and mix with a wooden spoon until dough starts forming
- Mix in a little more flour to make a soft dough
- Place dough on a lightly floured surfce and let sit for about 10 minutes
- Knead the dough using the palms of your hands and gently push dough away from you
- Continously knead dough for about 5 - 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic
- If dough becomes sticky add 1/2 TB. of flour
- Shape the dough into a smooth ball and place in a large greased bowl ( I use cooking spray)
- Turn dough once in bowl to coat with oil or cooking spray
- Cover the bowl with towl and let stand in a warm place for about 2 hours or until dough has doubled
- After 2 hours punch down dough and knead on lightly floured surface for about 2 minutes
- Cut dough into two equal balls and cover with towl for another 10 minutes
- Shape the balls into loaves and place on a greased ( or cooking spray) baking sheet
- Cover loaves with towel once again and set aside in a warm place until doubles
- Place dough into a pre-heated oven 425 degrees
- Bake bread for 10 minutes and reduce heat to 350 degrees
- Bake 20 - 30 m inutes or until golden brown
* Recipe courtesy of : http://www.great-chicago-italian-recipes.com/
LEMON & WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE TRIFLE
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup plus 4 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
- 1 3.5-ounce bar high-quality white chocolate (such as Lindt or Perugina), finely chopped
- 5 cups sliced hulled strawberries (about 2 pounds)
- 16 oz. pound cake
Whisk egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, and salt in medium metal bowl to blend. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water. Whisk until mixture is very thick and thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F to 170°F, about 6 minutes. Remove bowl from over water. Cool lemon mousse base to room temperature.
Beat remaining 4 cups cream in large bowl until firm peaks form. Divide whipped cream between both mousse bases, folding in 1 cup at a time (about 3 cups for each) leaving about 1 1/2 to 2 cups whipped cream left for top of trifle.
Layer in a trifle bowl in the following order: pound cake cut into pieces, lemon mousse, strawberries, pound cake cut into pieces, white chocolate mousse, strawberries, whipped cream. Decorate the top with a few extra strawberries.
DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and chill. Cover and chill remaining strawberries.