Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

OLD FASHIONED MACCARONI SALAD

Usually someone who likes to cook has a certain way of cooking.  For instance I usally cook a bit more gourmet, but I would not say that I cook "fru, fru" gourmet.  I would say I love to make interesting dishes with fresh ingredients which tend to be very italian and mediterranean.  Every now and then I do however like to venture into the "good ol' home cookin' " realm.  I don't go as far as a Paula Dean...she is a great cook, but she does use a lot of butter and oil and grease in her cooking.  So I would not say I go as "good ol' " as Paula Dean, but at times I can get pretty up there on the comfort food level.  Summer cook outs is usually when I bring out the oldies, but goodies recipes such as potato salad, summer tomato salad, baked beans, brats, burgers, hotdogs and a really good maccaroni or pasta salad.  I have a million different pasta salads up my sleeves.  Most of them contain fresh vegies that are either left raw or yummily (is that a word?)...yummily grilled and added to the pasta with a lemon or vinegar based dressing.  Last  year however, I came up with a maccaroni salad that was out of this world!  I made sure I jotted down the recipe so I could make it again this year.  This past Memorial Day I made this salad.  Let me tell you it was a hit!  My Old Fashioned Maccaroni Salad goes perfect with any summer cook out and BBQ!



OLD FASHIONED MACCARONI SALAD 

* I usually make this recipe when I know I will be cooking for a crowd.  You could easily "half" this recipe and it will still make plenty.
  • 2 lbs. elbow noodles
  • 6 eggs (hard boiled and chopped rough)
  • 1 block cheddar cheese (chopped into small cubes)
  • 3 celery stalks - ends removed - chopped small
  • 3 large carrots - cleaned and chopped small
  • 1 cup frozen peas - thawed
  • 2 cups real mayo ( I prefer Helmann's)
  • 2 TB. prepared mustard
  • 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Boil a large pot of water. Add noodles and cook until al'dente - about 8 minutes.  Drain pasta and rinse with cold water until all noodles are cold to the touch.  Drain well.  Add noodles to a very large bowl.
  2. Add remaining ingredients (in the order listed) to the bowl with the noodles.  Mix all together really well.
  3. Can either keep in this bowl or place in a different serving bowl.  Cover salad and place in fridge for at least 1 hour.  This pasta is best served the day that you make it, but it does taste great as leftovers a few days later as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment